"This -- IS -- SPARTA" and Other Similar Quotes ~ Random Waves of Insight
Have Posts Sent To Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Monday, June 30, 2008

"This -- IS -- SPARTA" and Other Similar Quotes

A few months ago, we all kept hearing the same type of one-liner again and again in movie trailers:

"This, Is, Sparta!"

"I, Am, Beowulf!"

"This, Is Our, City!"

And then, even in a movie's title: "I Am Legend"

I can almost hear someone shouting it... "I, Am, LEGEND!"

I'll bet most people didn't know or didn't care. You probably noticed, saw the pattern. I thought it was mildly amusing. A bit annoying on some days, though.

Because when you think about it, it represents creative copycatting.

One ad executive is told, "Come up with a new idea, something that works!" And he watches other ads, looking for something that is "proven." Sees that people are lining up to see "300," and boy, isn't that powerful when the guy says, "This Is Sparta!"

Let's copy it!

Stop copying me, little bro, it's getting old.

Then some maternal figure shows up and says, "Can't you see he admires you?"

Be original! Like that SoBe super bowl commercial that ripped off Thriller. Now there was a unique masterpiece... Not!

If you enjoyed this post, please think about becoming a subscriber to my RSS feed.

3 comments:

my blog said...

I think people should understand the meaning of words,firstly using it



Phone Info Tracer

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but isn't familiarity is what makes us interested? To hear or see something that held in common with something we often see?

my blog said...

Copy catting is very unprofessional habit and people shouldn't practice it every time.

reverse phone look up